I know XP isn't officially supported, but this looks like a trivial
problem that could be easily fixed.

I'm running puppet 2.7.9 and facter 1.6.4 on Windows XP SP3 with ruby
1.8.7 p357

When I run puppetd or facter, I get the error:

"Cannot run on Microsoft Windows without the sys-admin, win32-process,
win32-dir & win32-service gems: RubyGem version error: win32-
service(0.7.1 not >= 0)"

All of the gems mentioned are installed, and win32-service is version
0.7.1 as reported. The "0.7.1 not >= 0" looks like a simple comparison
error, because obviously 0.7.1 is greater than 0.

This error is then followed by another error:

"Could not retrieve puppetversion: Cannot determine basic system
flavour"

But this might be because of the first error.

The exact same setup works fine on Windows 2003 SP2, so it must be
something XP specific.

Has anyone seen this behaviour? Any ideas on a fix?