Thanks for the tip Aaron.

I have stuck with the platform RPMs as indicated earlier in the
thread. I could not find a ruby-augeas SLED platform RPM.

I downloaded the ruby-augeas-0.4.1-1.el5.src.rpm and tried to rebuild
it on the SLED11SP1 machine.

I had to make changes to the spec file to get rpmbuild to run.

Changed a line in the ruby-augeas.spec file
from
BuildRequires:  ruby ruby-devel rubygem(rake)
BuildRequires:  ruby ruby-devel rubygem-rake

Now it attempts to build a new RPM for the SLED11SP1 platform but
fails at the rake testing phase with 13 errors, output follows

+ rake
test
(in /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-
augeas-0.4.1)
Loaded suite /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.7/lib/rake/
rake_test_loader
Started
EEEEEEE.EEEEEE
Finished in 0.018282
seconds.

  1) Error:
test_basics(TestAugeas):
SystemCallError: unknown error - Failed to initialize Augeas
    /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-augeas-0.4.1/lib/augeas.rb:48:in `open3'
    /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-augeas-0.4.1/lib/augeas.rb:48:in `open'
    ./tests/tc_augeas.rb:206:in `aug_open'
    ./tests/tc_augeas.rb:17:in `test_basics'

I have left out Errors 2....12 for clarity.

 13) Error:
test_transform(TestAugeas):
SystemCallError: unknown error - Failed to initialize Augeas
    /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-augeas-0.4.1/lib/augeas.rb:48:in `open3'
    /root/rpmbuild/BUILD/ruby-augeas-0.4.1/lib/augeas.rb:48:in `open'
    ./tests/tc_augeas.rb:206:in `aug_open'
    ./tests/tc_augeas.rb:78:in `test_transform'

rake aborted!
Command failed with status (1): [/usr/bin/ruby -I"lib:ext/augeas" "/
usr/lib...]

error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.72660 (%check)

Hope you can help as I really need to get this working.

Thanks
Lawrie