On Jan 18, 1:32 am, Ryan Bowlby <rbowlb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looking into it now, thanks. Related question, I see a lot of modules
> where an optional package is available as another class, example
>
> include apache::ssl
>
> would install apache and mod_ssl. With parametrized classes is it now
> better to make this a parameter?

With parameterized classes, it is usually better to avoid
parameterized classes.  Especially so now that hiera being
incorporated into the core.  I can't think of much that parameterized
classes gain you that hiera cannot provide, and use of hiera does not
incur the costs attending use of parameterized classes.

The deeper question, however, is whether it is better to use classes
or conditionals (regardless of data source) to determine which
optional features to manage on a node.  It is better to use classes.
Doing so keeps individual classes cleaner and more maintainable, and
it is far more flexible.  It also plays more nicely with your SCM
system (you *are* keeping your manifests in an SCM system, right?)
because the nature and scope of each change is more clearly reflected
by which files are affected.

John