On Jan 18, 5:52 am, Felix Frank <felix.fr...@alumni.tu-berlin.de>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01/17/2012 04:11 PM, jcbollinger wrote:
>
> > The first is simpler only if you get lucky, and you don't intend to
> > modify your manifests ever again.
>
> basically correct, but you can even play it safe: You must make sure
> each and every invocation of the resource in question is protected by
> such an if defined(), ever.

And in that case you must also make sure that the package is defined
with the same parameters everywhere, and that it stays that way.

> Yes, it's terrible design.

Indeed.  Even for a one-off it's more complicated to use the
conditional approach correctly than to just put the package definition
in a class.

> Is there a good reason that this function is even retained in recent
> versions of puppet? I have yet to encounter an instance where it can be
> used cleanly.

I assume the function remains for backwards compatibility.  That's a
pretty strong motivation for keeping it, but the function could at
least be deprecated.

John