Now that we have configuration management for our OS and we are
actively managing our operating systems nearly hands off we want to
now start doing some configuration mgmt of our applications.

We don't frankly see having all our application teams use puppet or
anything else to actively manage their applications.  What we would
like to do is watch the applications and know when things change.
Basically, watch the directories that the developers put their
applications into and keep a history of what changes and when.

Does anyone have any idea on if there are any tools that can provide
the ability to watch directories for changes like that.

I know there is auditd that can do this, as well as maybe an intrusion
detection tool like AIDE, but those solutions would involve lots of
raw data and not much human readable stuff.   I suppose we could write
something to take all that data, digest it and report on it.

But I was wondering if anyone knows of a tool that would do this type
of function and provide some human friendly data and reports etc..