Nigel,

It frightens me a bit that I think the "correct" solution, will be to
replicate what the distros are doing in Puppetforge. Basically turning
puppetforge into a massive cross distro metadata repo, with very strict
contribution standards and rules. This would involve strong rules for
curated modules that would require manpower to vet (and to contribute the
modules).

Maybe, we might want to extend modules so that there are two namespaces,
one for curated forge modules and another for local modules. (Making the
"local module" namespace the default for backwards compatibility.) One
example of a potential rule would be to require that official modules
support a mandatory set of popular OSes. Don't allow more than one official
module per package. e.g.: In the curated section of forge there will be one
MySQL module. (not to get too ahead of the cart, but I envision a time when
you can instantiate a MySQL service by just telling puppet to use the Forge
MySQL module, puppet handles downloading and installing the module and
figuring out what OS you are running and with the help of the native
package management, installs and configures the basic MySQL service.) The
official modules will be curated such that if there is a a common resource
they need to manage that resource will be split into a separate singular
dependency module, that incorporates the requirements of
all dependent forge modules. (Not a bag of common resources in a single
module, but rather a separate module for each shared resource.)

Maybe, I am overthinking this, but I think this is the "right" solution,
that may require more resources to implement than the community has
available.

That leaves us what to do about "defined". (Or was that a different
thread?) In the case of defined, my group has only ever used it once in
almost 4 years, but it seems from the discussions that there are others
still using it. Maybe the answer is provide a real alternative first, and
then go about deprecating it? We wouldn't miss it, but I could see the
challenges of rewriting a codebase that depends on it, and I wouldn't want
that rewrite enforced on me, without a solid alternative.

Cheers,
Brian

P.S. - No one is going to really love this solution, including myself, but
that doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be done.

<http://aws.amazon.com/solutions/solution-providers/brandorr/>