On 31/01/12 09:01, Felix Frank wrote:
> Ah, so you'd have the agent verify if all assertions (which need to
> appear as first-class citizens in the catalog) hold true, and otherwise
> fail the catalog?
>
> That strikes me as very elegant indeed.
>
> How will situations be handled where assertions won't hold true until
> parts of the catalog have been applied?

I'm not familiar enough with Puppet's internals to answer that very confidently.
My guess is that one might be able to express requires/before relationships
between Assertions and Resources in order to enforce things like this.

The main implication of that would be to restrict the freedom to assume that
assertions can be applied in any order, because the agent's application of the
catalog would need to be split into a sequence of "assertion" and "mutation"
steps.  An Assertion must then not be moved outside the part of the sequence
assigned to it.