I wrote some code to create the virtual hardware on esx/esx(i)
hypervisors using jython and the vsphere api.  You can find my poorly
written codes here on github.

https://github.com/jsabo/vmware_misc/blob/master/vmware_cli.py

I was building the esx(i) boxes with Cobbler and then as part of a
firstboot commit hook creating the virtual hardware on the newly
installed esx(i) hypervisors and then turning them on which then
booted off Cobbler and installed.  The other cobbler bits are in that
same repo on github.