If you have RVM already up, can you use the puppet gem instead?

Note: I would create a gemset here first, here but that's another story.

$rvm use 1.8.7
$gem install puppet -v 2.7.6

As for configuring openssl, I had this battle with iconv today:
http://beginrescueend.com/packages/openssl/

-Charles

On Feb 20, 2012 12:14 AM, "Jeff Sussna" <j...@ingineering.it> wrote:

> I installed RVM, then used that to install Ruby. Installed openssl
> from RVM in the process. However, when I try to install facter or
> puppet I get "Could not load openssl; could not install".
>
> Sequence of events looked like:
>
> rvm pkg install <openssl prerequisites>
> rvm pkg install openssl
> rvm install 1.8.7 --with-openssl-dir=~/.rvm/usr
> rvm use 1.8.7
> cd puppet-2.7.6
> ruby install.rb
>
> Any advice on how to get the installer to find openssl? I've googled
> and tried various tricks to no avail.
>
> On Feb 17, 5:10 pm, Michael Stahnke <stah...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 1:43 PM, Jeff Sussna <j...@ingineering.it>
wrote:
> > > I want to use Puppet and Facter on a machine where I don't have sudo
> > > or root access privileges. I won't be using Puppet for anything that
> > > requires that level of access, so I should be OK if I can get it on
> > > the box. Any advice on how to proceed? Currently the Facter installer
> > > complains that it doesn't have privileges for /usr/bin/facter. I
> > > assume Puppet will have the same complain about /etc/puppet.
> >
> > > Am trying to install Puppet 2.7.6/Facter 1.6.1 from source on SLES 11
> > > in case that matters.
> >
> > You could clone the sources from git in your home directory and then
> > set your RUBYLIB environment variable to look in those cloned
> > directories and adjust $PATH accordingly.  That would probably be
> > easier than trying to use a package that assumes root rights.
> >

> > > --
groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.