On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Matt Mencel <m...@techminer.net> wrote:
> I am trying to write a custom facter for CentOS/RHEL that tells me how many
> updates are found on a run of 'yum check-update'

Sorry I replied hastily.  After replying I thought about what you're
trying to do.  You don't need all those gyrations to get this data

Tested quickly on RHEL6 and CentOS5:

`sudo yum check-update -q`.split(/\n/).reject{|i| i == ""}.length

--
Nathan Powell
Linux System Administrator

"Where else would you rather be than right here, right now?"
~ Marv Levy