I'm getting this worked through in my head, I think. I wanted to make
sure that Puppet would totally support me if the migration is made.
I've concluded that I can standardize a bit more than I have, and with
Daniel's suggestion, quoted below, I'm well impressed! :

file {
"/etc/rc.d/rc.firewall.local": source =>
"puppet:///modules/firewall/rc.firewall.${fqdn}"  }

That's just perfect - allows very granular "per machine" edits that'll
streamline workflow 100%. Thanks for the comments everyone! :-)