Hi Marco,

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 6:17 AM, Marco Parra D. <marco.parr...@gmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi Josh, thank you for reply,
>
> On 29-02-2012 19:12, Josh Cooper wrote:
>
> Hi Marco,
>
> On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Marco Parra D.
> <marco.parr...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>>  Hi Josh,
>> I'm runnig from cmd.exe, I'm using Administrator account on the windows
>> box, this is the output for the command that you asked:
>>
>> C:\Users\Administrator>whoami /groups
>>
>> GROUP INFORMATION
>> -----------------
>>
>> Group Name                           Type             SID
>> Attributes
>> ==================================== ================ ============
>> Everyone                             Well-known group S-1-1-0
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> BUILTIN\Administrators               Alias            S-1-5-32-544
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group, Group owner
>>

>  This shows that you are running elevated, which is good.
>

>>  BUILTIN\Users                        Alias            S-1-5-32-545
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> NT AUTHORITY\INTERACTIVE             Well-known group S-1-5-4
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> CONSOLE LOGON                        Well-known group S-1-2-1
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users     Well-known group S-1-5-11
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> NT AUTHORITY\This Organization       Well-known group S-1-5-15
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> LOCAL                                Well-known group S-1-2-0
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> NT AUTHORITY\NTLM Authentication     Well-known group S-1-5-64-10
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>> Mandatory Label\High Mandatory Level Label            S-1-16-12288
>> Mandatory group, Enabled by default, Enabled group
>>
>> C:\Users\Administrator>
>>

>> I found a page that talks about security on windows 2008, and I tried
>> changing a configuration for the IIS, On the Ineternet Information Services
>> Manager, under Management, Configuration Editor, selecting Providers, click
>> on Edit Items, selecting DataProtectionConfigurationProvider, I change
>> useMachineProtection, and save the change.
>>
>> On Windows 7 the scripts run perfect, but on Windows 2008 R2 still didn't
>> work, still the execution said that the file was modified, but nothing
>> happens on the file..... no errors it's showed....
>>

>  Is your Windows 7 box 32-bit? If you're using 32-bit ruby on a 64-bit
> Windows 2008 R2 to edit
> C:\Windows\System32\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config,
> Windows may be redirecting you to %windir%\syswow64\inetsrv instead:
> http://forums.iis.net/p/1150832/1875622.aspx
>

> Yeah, I'm using a Windows 7 32 bits box, and it's works fine... in the
> other hand, I've testing on Windows 2008 R2 64 bits server, I checked on
> the path tha you said, and your right, the file is changed on
> [...]

You can disable file system redirection using the special 'sysnative'
alias: C:\Windows\Sysnative\inetsrv\config\applicationHost.config. But
acccording to MS this is not available on 2003[1], which is odd, because
then 32-bit processes in 64-bit 2003 can't disable file system redirection
on a per-file basis. There are APIs for disabling file system redirection
for the entire process, but that would probably break 32-bit ruby.exe

Perhaps the best option is to create a symlink to the IIS configuration
directory[2]. However, 2003 doesn't support symlinks, so again I'm not sure
how to do this on 64-bit 2003. Also puppet cannot currently manage symlinks
on Windows, so you'd have to use an exec resource to do that.

I'll add a note to our troubleshooting guide about 32vs64bit. I'd be
curious to hear about which approach you end up taking.

Josh

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384187(v=vs.85).aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/robert_mcmurray/archive/2008/10/27/using-visual-studio-2008-on-a-64-bit-computer-to-edit-applicationhost-config.aspx

--