Any chance you copied over a bare metal box image, or something?

In any case, facter would seem to have only a handful of checks to
determine "virtual" or non-virtual... unfortunately I don't have a vmware
box in front of me to verify this, but you should be able to find facter's
"virtual" tests in some place like:

/usr/lib/ruby/1.[89]/facter/util/virtual.rb

(slightly more convoluted if you're running puppet under rvm)

At first glance, for VMWare, it appears to be looking for /proc/self/status
and/or /proc/virtual.