Hi,

> > So, the tags are not inherited. Each node prints the tag that is
> > declared in its own node, but not those from the parent or the
> > children. I have also tried to do manual tags, and they are not
> > inherited either.
> >
> > Am I doing something wrong, or is "tagging" not well documented?
>
> Both, I think.
>
> The tagging documentation could be clearer, and probably it should
> avoid the word "inherited" because I think that may have misled you.
>
> On the other hand, I think your expectations are incorrect.  It is
> "enclosed" objects that are documented to also get tagged, and I would
> not consider a node definition to be "enclosed by" another that
> inherits from it.

So, is there no "scope" when we talk about tags? Because I have noticed that,
in more complex scenarios, tags are actually passed around (at this point I
don't know if I should call this inherited, enclosed, or what), like this:

node 'ANY' {
  include ssh::server  # Default sshd_config
}

node 'WN' inherits 'ANY' {
  include ssh::enable_hostbased_auth
}

node 'ppwn01.lcg.cscs.ch' inherits 'WN' {
}

I print this within the ssh::enable_hostbased_auth context:
TAGS: class ssh::enable_hostbased_auth ssh enable_hostbased_auth node wn

So, I get both the tags WN and ssh::enable_hostbased_auth, it means it picked
up the tags from the node, and from the class... but I don't get the
ssh::server, that's comming from the parent of WN.

What I need is a reliable way to do node groups, where I can specify some
configuration parameters per group and per node, and the modules should be
aware of that. Tags don't seem apropiate, and possible neither variables (they
difer within all scopes, and from the modules I can't reference variables
created on the nodes). What's the right way to do this, then?

Thanks!
Pablo