We do this via multiple Environments.
We have a Dev, Test and Production environment, and migrate between them using
subversion scripts.
The only thing to be aware of, is that you need to set up the file server so
that all puppet: resources include the environment; thus:
puppet:///files-$environment/myfile ; in this way, modules and manifests can
move between environments without needing to change the files URL (under
modules is fine because it already is aware of environments)
Another useful thing is to append the Production modules path to the end of the
Dev and Test module paths, so you dont have to have a copy of every module in
each environment.

If you want to have a client pointing at completely different puppet servers,
then make a second client directory /etc/puppet2 for example, that defines a
completely different varpath etc.  Then use --confpath=/etc/puppet2 to activate
this one rather than using --server.  This way you can have a completely
separate puppet agent installation, separate certificates, and so on.
We do this in some cases where we have an applications puppet server, where the
client runs as a non-root user, and a systems puppet server, where the agent
runs as root.  We can allow the apps team to maintain the manfests on the
applications server.

Steve

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS