On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:21 AM, jimbob palmer <jimbobpal...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The Core Types Cheat Sheet at
> http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/puppet/wiki/Core_Types_Cheat_Sheet/
> says:
>

> The Trifecta
>
> Package/file/service: Learn it, live it, love it. If you can only do this,
> you can still do a lot.
>
> package { 'openssh-server':
>     ensure => installed,
> }
>
> file { '/etc/ssh/sshd_config':
>     source  => 'puppet:///modules/sshd/sshd_config',
>     owner   => 'root',
>     group   => 'root',
>     mode    => '640',
>     notify  => Service['sshd'], # sshd will restart whenever you edit this
> file.

This ensures order and trigger service restart when the file resource changes.

>     require => Package['openssh-server'],
> }
>
> service { 'sshd':
>     ensure => running,
>     enable => true,
>     hasstatus => true,
>     hasrestart => true,
> }
>

> I can see two problems with this example, and rather than open a ticket I
> wanted to make sure I haven't overlooked something.
>
> 1. Is there any special magic requiring that the config file exist before
> Puppet starts the sshd service?
> If not, shouldn't there be a requires in the service on the config file?

The notify implies the order and triggers refresh on changes.

> 2. The sentence "sshd will restart whenever you edit this file." is a bit
> confusing, because it hints at puppet using some kind of inotify mechanism
> to restart sshd when the config file changes.
> Would it be better to write that sshd will restart whenever puppet updates
> this file?

Yes, it would make mores precise to say when the user update the
config (in the module), and run puppet to update the file, it will
trigger a service restart as well.

Nan