It's a bit of a change, but you're probably best just looking at ENCs
(External Node Classifiers)...

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/guides/external_nodes.html

As with anything else, there's a half dozen (if not more) ways to do it.
Some of the "gotchas" include making the ENC a single point of failure. It
is probably best (?) to generate a simple node classification file on the
server, then push that out to the clients. The clients can either pick it
up by a simple YAML file, or through another equally simple script.

Hope that helps get you started in the right direction...