So, this is an Awesomely un-helpful error message.

First there's two (possibly three) things that happen between the "Setting
up puppet agent..." message and whatever message comes next (the next
message depends on if you're installing the console or not).

First the installer runs puppet agent -t to request a cert. This is almost
certainly where it's failing. If you did a previous install with a master
on a different node, then you need to make sure the agent's cert has been
cleaned off of the master before trying to re-install. If you don't the
master says, "I already have a cert for that node, you're a fake!" and the
installer dies. If this was a master node, make sure that when you ran the
uninstaller you ran with a `-p`, the purge option, to remove
/etc/puppetlabs and the configs within there.

Then the installer tries to start the puppet agent daemon and enable it to
run at boot. This is a non-portable section that fails with a decent error
message if it can't figure out what to do.

If this is NOT installing a console as well, then it will generate the
puppet master's passenger conf file. Which also should not cause it to bail.

To resolve the issue you might want to try:
 Re-running the uninstaller with -p (and if you had a database installed
with PE, don't forget to clean out /var/lib/mysql!) and then re-running the
installer with `bash -x`

You can also take a 'snapshot' of pertinent information on your node by
running the support script in the extracted PE tarball and send its output
to supp...@puppetlabs.com .

If you got this far in the installation you might want to change the
version string in /opt/puppet/pe_version to something like '2.0.3' and try
running the upgrader.

Or keep trying here (and at the issue tracker) with more info about your
platform (UbuntuLTS, SLES 11.2,,,), configuration (agent only, split
master/console,,,,), etc....

HTH,
Justin