Sorry I missed this thread until now.

Are you running with --listen? If so, try:
    echo "" | nc localhost 8139
and see if that helps.

https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12185
is tracking an issue where puppetd, running with --listen, gets stuck in a socket read loop. Any data whatsoever sent to port 8139 will cause puppetd to continue where it left off (sometimes days ago).

I've mainly seen this on Cent6.2 personally. I've setup one of my test clients with a version of ruby patched for caller_for_all_threads and with the "xray" rubygem, and will try to get a thread dump next time it happens.

-Jason