Yes, your Puppet Master can be an Agent, it just talks to itself. Most people manage Puppet Agent and Master configuration with Puppet itself - get it to manage it's own config and restart itself when it changes. This means you only need a bunch of text files - your modules and manifests - to rebuild your entire infrastructure.