On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 9:52 PM, Paul Hinze <paul.t.hi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Steve Roberts <strob...@strobe.net> wrote:
>> But since the provider has already clipped the attributes they don't
>> get set in the first run.
>>
>> when run a second time the attributes do get set correctly, but that
>> seems a bit kludgy to have to run puppet twice to get the desired
>> affect.
>
> I've run into this too, and worked around it by considering
> ruby-shadow as a "prerequisite" for puppet, and therefore taking
> responsibility for that package up to my bootstrapping scripts. IOW,
> it is one of the short list of packages that need to be there for
> puppet to run successfully. In my case, that means adding it to a
> Debian pre-seed config.
>
> I'd be curious to know if there's any other way to work around
> provider dependencies like these in a cleaner way though.

Much of this depends on *how* you install puppet.  If you use yum or
apt, I think shadow is pulled in as a dep (I know it is for rpm).  If
you use gems, I'm quite sure it's not. If you're on mac or Windows you
can use the native packages and get password management without
shadow.

What platforms are you on?