Hi Ken,

Your site and your practices (and the problems that go with it) are similar to our own. I've answered by describing what we think the way forward for Puppet is for us, hopefully you find it helpful and get some ideas :-)

I feel your pain when you say there are changes languishing in Dev for too long that get inadvertently pushed out to other environments. Once I accidentally rolled out a whole set of 'work in progress' changes that a colleague of mine was committing and pushing to one environment (we use Git) and I cut a new tag and pushed a whole heap of these unfinished changes to the next environment up the chain.

After this I realised our current model really wasn't going to work in the long run: this happened with only two Admins working on Puppet in the last week when we employ almost a dozen who could potentially make the same mistakes. While we're still stuck in this model now, we think the way forward for us is to take a page out of our Development Team's book and set up a fully fledged CI environment for Puppet. It would be even more awesome if our Developer's CI was also our CI - but considering they've got half a million unit tests and we've got zero, we've got a long way to go.

How this plays out practically is that all our admins commit into our Puppet repository and those changes start getting applied immediately to our Dev/CI servers and they start getting tested against immediately (hence the unit tests). Problems will always occur, but they will occur almost immediately and we'll have feedback to fix it.

Can you explain how you see maintaining three slightly different environments with one Puppet Master and a firewall is more difficult than three individual Puppet Masters? You've already got all the differences written down in your existing manifests - different IP addresses for different services, different users/passwords, etc, maybe slightly different packages, or am I missing something?

Without knowing more about your site (so hopefully this suggestion is relevant), here's what I would do: I would slowly start to encourage people to separate out your data from your code using a shared repository. Take a look at Hiera if you haven't already, I'd recommend using it but other data sources would suffice as well.

So right now you've got your Dev data in your Dev modules, your Staging data in your Staging modules, etc. Take one of your modules (lets say DNS, it's easy), and put it's data (DNS server IP addresses) into a shared data store that each of your Dev, Staging and Prod Puppet Masters can access. Then change your Dev module to remove the data and pull it from the data store. Then do Staging, the same data store but different information, then finally Prod. If your three separate DNS modules don't look *exactly* the same now, you've done something wrong. Do that for every module and you've now got no reason not to run a single Puppet Master. The changes would take some time to do every module but if you encourage every admin to make a small step forward each change they make, eventually you'd get there.

What kind of changes are you making 5-10 times a day? The same changes for the same people? We have a situation here where our Developers sometimes need to change the configuration of our application every hour. Right now we don't manage those systems with Puppet because making that many changes of the same thing over and over is a monumental waste of our time.

I hack on Hiera a little bit to get some extra functionality from it, mainly the ability to tier my data sources. What I plan on doing is to have a low priority data store that's managed by Developers. Since all our modules will (eventually) look to the data stores to configure themselves, our Developers will be able to make their own system configuration changes. Our Admins control the modules (we write *how* it's done) and the higher priority data stores so we can override whatever the Developers enter if need be (we don't want a Developer changing the root password now). The Developers then trigger their own Puppet run and they've reconfigured the system using the same method (same Puppet modules) as Production so I don't have to worry about things "being done differently in Dev".

-Luke