Hello John

On Friday, April 27, 2012 9:58:09 AM UTC-3, jcbollinger wrote:

> I know it's not what you want to hear, but Hiera is your best bet.  I
> don't think the code base size is relevant, because I don't think the
> time and effort to implement an Hiera-based class data source is
> likely to differ much from what parameterizing all the same classes
> would require.  Or to put it a different way, solving your problem via
> class parameterization would require *at least* as much shakeup of
> your code base as would implementing an hiera-based solution.

Well, the thing is that we're in the middle of a transition process that is
moving from "everything is a global variable in the node" to parametrized
classes, and while they are not perfect, I found that our new code is much
saner and easier to debug when using them.

So the question is, are parametrized classes now considered "deprecated"? I
remember reading somewhere that improvements were being made for Puppet
2.8... While I can see the advantages of Hiera, it seems to me that it's
another instance of the global variable problem if it's used to load values
inside some class, and I'd rather not lose the benefit of being able to
check a class "signature" to see immediately what variables it needs, and
having the code fail if any is not provided.

Thanks,
Andre