Currently we have two puppetmaster servers with ALL requests being
load balanced. I use unison to keep the ssl directory in sync between
hosts. Each server runs keepalived and requests go to a VIP that
exists on one of the servers. The server with the VIP load balances
the requests (mod_proxy) between both servers.

It's working relatively fine, though it would be ideal to have the
agents connect at semi-random intervals in order to reduce "thundering
herd" issues. We are over 500 without any real issues. Also, the
decentralized approach works fine but there are caveats related to the
use of custom functions that rely on a central server, virtual
resources(?), etc. I would try to scale your masters as it's not that
hard.

-Ryan