On Thursday, May 10, 2012 11:37:34 AM UTC-7, ohad wrote:

> On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 9:34 PM, Daniel Sauble <djsau...@puppetlabs.com>wrote:

>>> its
>>> >

>>> I'm about to engage on a similar effort and was thinking of writing a
>>> puppet face to handle this job. Can you elaborate on the work flow and
>>> solution you're thinking about?
>>>

>> We're looking to implement a Puppet Face to address this need. The
>> workflow currently looks like:
>>

>>    1. Login to the site host
>>    2. Generate a pre-shared key
>>    3. Join a node to the site using the pre-shared key
>>    4. Repeat step 3 for every node you want to add to the site
>>

>> From the command-line, this workflow might be represented as the
>> following:
>> *
>> node02$ ssh ad...@site02.domain.com
>> Last login: Mon May  7 18:15:43 2012
>> site02$ mount /media/usbdisk
>> site02$ puppet site generate key > /media/usbdisk/site.key
>> site02$ umount /media/usbdisk
>> site02$ exit
>> node02$ mount /media/usbdisk
>> node02$ puppet node join site02.domain.com < /media/usbdisk/site.key
>> Trying to add node02.domain.com to the site at site02.domain.com...
>>
>> Use `puppet site status node02.domain.com` to confirm success
>>
>> To stop waiting for the command to complete, press Ctrl-C.
>>
>>   The command will still complete in the background.
>> Added node02.domain.com to the site at site02.domain.com*
>>

> will you allow the older workflow to co exists? would it be possible to
> drive all of the process via an external api?

No, at present we are looking to deprecate the 'clean', 'generate', 'list',
'revoke', and 'sign' actions of
the puppet cert face. The reason for this is we want the semantics of the
user interface to match the
user need. The impression I've gotten (and feel free to chime in) is that
users don't want to sign
certificates, they want to add nodes to their deployment.

Yes, the goal is that all the functionality of the Puppet Face will also be
available via the REST API.