For a similar scenario I use mcollective
<http://puppetlabs.com/mcollective/introduction/>with puppetd
agent<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/AgentPuppetd>
 and
puppet
commander<http://projects.puppetlabs.com/projects/mcollective-plugins/wiki/ToolPuppetcommander>

It will evenly spread the agent's runs in the given interval with the given
concurrency.