On Jun 5, 3:37 am, ankush grover <ankushcen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Kevin and Jeff.
>
> As of now I want to keep the implementation simple
>
> * Use Hostname/ipaddress+uuid for certificates
> * Enabled Autosigning on the Puppet Master
>
> Is there any variable something like this(posted on the puppet list an hour
> ago)
>
> export FACTER_FACT_AUTOSCALE_GROUP=webgroup-b
>
> which can be used to pass to the puppet master what group this node
> belongs to and on the puppet server side a policy can be applied based
> on the group it belongs to.

You can indeed add facts via variables in Facter's environment; in
this context that would mean the Puppet agent's environment.  How you
would arrange for that depends on how you start the agent.  For
example:

FACTER_autoscale_group=webgroup-b puppet agent --onetime --no-
daemonize

Puppet does not have a native concept of machine groups, but they can
be mapped pretty easily to classes.  Somewhere in your manifests,
then, you would have code similar to this:

case ${autoscale_group} {
  'webgroup-a': {
    include 'autoscale::web_a'
  }