On Sat, Jun 2, 2012 at 7:59 AM, Andrew Wasilczuk <a...@zx23.net> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
>>    You may be running into a bug in Puppet but I'm not entirely sure yet...
>>    What web server are you using to terminate the SSL connection from the
>>    agent to the master?  Is it simply the built in one provided by `puppet
>>    master` or are you using Apache or something?
>
> SSL is terminated by Apache.  My Apache config is similar to what comes with
> puppet in ext/rack/files/apache2.conf, and contains:
>
> RequestHeader set X-SSL-Subject %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN}e
> RequestHeader set X-Client-DN %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN}e
> RequestHeader set X-Client-Verify %{SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY}e
>
> My puppet.conf contains:
>
> ssl_client_header = SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_
> ssl_client_verify_header = SSL_CLIENT_VERIFY
>
> in the [master] section.
>

>>    It appears that we're not correctly parsing out the emailAddress field
>>    inside the subject and instead we're treating it as part of the common
>>    name (CN).
>
> Yup, that's what it looks like.

Andrew,

This is definitely a bug.  The regular expression we're using to
extract the common name (CN) from the distinguished name (DN) is
/^.*?CN\s*=\s*(.*)/ [1]

This is a greedy regular expression which explains why it's also
grabbing the email address.  I think we need to fix this to only match
up to the next / character or the end of the string.

Before I go fix this right now, are we sure this is a valid encoding
for the fields in the DN?  What software are you using to produce
these certificates?

I've filed the bug here and added you as a watcher Andrew:
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/14852

[1]
https://github.com/puppetlabs/puppet/blob/master/lib/puppet/network/http/rack/rest.rb#L89

-Jeff