I receive this error message:

err: Could not retrieve catalog from remote server: Error 400 on
SERVER: undefined method `empty?' for nil:NilClass at /etc/puppet/
manifests/site.pp:16

It's coughing on my code in site.pp which looks like so ( all other
hiera_include have no issues, problem is at node_classes

node default {
   $region    = extlookup( "region"    )
   $hostgroup = extlookup( "hostgroup" )
   $site      = extlookup( "site"      )
   $env       = extlookup( "env"       )
   hiera_include( "global_classes" )     # This is maintained in
defaults.yaml
   hiera_include( "hostgroup_classes" )  # Maintained in hostgroups/
<hostgroup>/<hostgroup>.yaml
   hiera_include( "site_classes" )       # Maintained in hostgroups/
   hiera_include( "node_classes" )       # Maintained in hostgroups/
}

cleint yaml

---
config:  - SuperAwesomeCONF2.0
server:  - client
node_classes: - xxx_base

I am running RedHat 6 Puppetmaster: 2.7.14
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 on client with puppet 2.7.11
Hiera: 0.3.0

Is there a way I can see what Hiera is returning without setting the
args for it's value?

I do not see this behavior on Red Hat5 or Red Hat6. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.