On Tuesday, June 12, 2012 5:51:06 PM UTC-5, Wolf Noble wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> Thanks a bunch. This seems incredibly sensible.
>
> If I'm understanding your suggestion properly, I interpret the best thing
> to do as something like:
>

> mymodule::repos {
> $region_repos = hiera('region_repos' , '' )
> $dc_repos = hiera('dc_repos' , '' )
>
>   if $region_repos {
>     create_resources('yumrepo', $region_repos))
>   }
>   if $dc_repos {
>     create_resources('yumrepo', $dc_repos))
>   }
> #...
> }
>
> and then I could override them like
>
> us-east/foo/qa/webservers/web02.qa.myfoo.com.yaml
>
> region_repos: ""
> dc_repos:
>   foodc_qa_repo: {
>     descr: foodc-qa,
>     baseurl: http://myfoo.com/foodc-repo,
>     gpgkey: http://myfoo.com/foodcrepo/key,
>     gpgcheck: 1,
>     enabled: 1,
>     enablegroups: 0
> }
>

> with the known caveat that I'd have to explicitly redeclare the entire
> hash at the most relevant tier if I wanted to change any element of the
> hash already defined.
>

> Did I miss anything?

I don't see any obvious errors or omissions.  In particular, you are
correct that overriding repos declared at a lower level will involve
declaring an entirely new hash (of hashes) at the appropriate higher
level.  That's one of the costs attending complex data.  All in all, it
looks nicely fleshed out.

John