Von: puppet-users@googlegroups.com [mailto:puppet-users@googlegroups.com] Im
Auftrag von Andreas Paul
Gesendet: Dienstag, 19. Juni 2012 11:17
An: puppet-users@googlegroups.com
Betreff: Re: [Puppet Users] Service Puppetmaster being monitored by Nagios

I'm not sure if he wants to monitor the puppet runs on the clients.
Maybe he wants to monitor if the the puppetmaster is available or not, so

/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_tcp -H YOURPUPPETMASTER -p 8140
TCP OK - 0.000 second response time on port
8140|time=0.000464s;;;0.000000;10.000000
or
/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H YOURPUPPETMASTER -p 8140 -S -s "The
environment must be purely alphanumeric" -e "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request"
HTTP OK HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request - 0.009 second response time
|time=0.009472s;;;0.000000 size=271B;;;0

would be a good start.

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 2:37:04 AM UTC+2, Brian Gupta wrote:
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Wendell Araujo
<johnnatah.ara...@gmail.com<mailto:johnnatah.ara...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> Good morning!
>
> I have a server running Nagios and would like to monitor the service in my
> puppet server puppetmaster. Has anyone managed to do this?
>
> grateful
>
> Wendell

So this doesn't exactly answer your question, but it is a pattern that
may be of use. So we push out a managed file to all clients that gets
updated everytime we make a commit to the puppetcode base (git post
commit hook), and have a corresponding nagios check that confirms that
the version of the file on the puppet master is the same as on the
client. This tells us if anything is broken in the loop, including a
nonfunctional puppetmaster.