This may be an obvious question, but I'd rather ask than guess at it.

Do the actual file names have any meaning to puppet or facter ?

Seems to me that as long as the facts are syntactically correct and do not
conflict with facts in any other file,
the file names are only important to the human maintainer of this fact
collection.

Is this accurate ?

“Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in
the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.”
Bill Waterson (Calvin & Hobbes)