On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 5:35:39 AM UTC-5, Kmbu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Puppet 2.7.6 and currently expanding the number of servers
> managed by Puppet. At around the 160-170 host mark (with a 5-minute run
> interval + splay), my puppetmaster server is starting to die. Is this
> normal?

If you're using the master's built-in WEBrick based server, then yes, it's
normal.  In fact, you're getting pretty high throughput.  The default run
interval is six times longer (30 minutes), and at *that* interval people
sometimes report problems by the time they get to the number of hosts you
are successfully supporting.

The next level of Puppet scaling is to run Puppet inside a 'real' web
server, with Apache + passenger being the usual choice.  That could
increase your capacity by several times, depending on the host hardware and
the characteristics of your manifests.

> I've already gone through a few threads mentioning this same error, but
> it's still not clear to me where the failure is happening exactly (I'm
> thinking as the agent tries to send the report to the puppetmaster?) or
> whether anything can be done about it. The puppetmasterd process seems to
> be using 90-100% of one CPU, but there is another one.

The puppetmaster is not natively multithreaded, but running it via
passenger will allow multiple instances to operate in parallel.  If you're
maxing out one of two available CPUs, then that would probably give you
about a factor of two improvement, provided enough RAM is available.

Are there any parameters I can tweak on the puppetmaster server to help it
> handle the load better?

See above.  Quicker and easier, however, would be to lengthen the clients'
run interval.  Five minutes is *very* short.

John