Hi,

On 06/28/2012 05:22 PM, llow...@oreillyauto.com wrote:
> This works, but it appears to be executing for the whole list of gems I
> am passing it, even though those gems are already installed and the
> unless command should prevent it. But that's another matter that I
> should be able to figure out on my own.

I noticed that in your unless parameter, you use "gem" without a path.
It's possibly always failing if puppet cannot find the binary.

Please note that exec takes an actual "path" parameter as well, that you
should use to define the search path.

> So... long story short, this is the second time in two weeks I am having
> to refactor all my code in order to prepare for a point release
> upgrade.

Ugh, I feel your pain. Sorry for the hassle. Have you been using puppet
for long? I believe that it really takes quite some time to find the
best practices on one's own. The Puppet Labs style guide e.g. has helped
me very little in that respect, personally.

> For what it is worth, I think the forcing of all lowercase
> variables/classes/defines/modules is serious design flaw - even worse
> than not allowing hyphens, which I consider to be a pretty serious flaw
> (and from reading this list and various other bug reports, a lot of
> people agree)

I can agree about the case notion, although allowing mixed case is
problematic in puppet: file { } and File { } are semantically different,
so defined types cannot ever be named with a capital first letter. So
conditionally allowing mixed case would be potentially confusing (or so
I believe).

About the dashes, well - I don't really see the issue. In languages like
C, the dash has been a reserved word for decades. When the lexer sees a
dash, it will make it a standalone token, and the parser will recognize
it as an operator. It all adheres niceley to the KISS principle. It's my
firm belief that making the dash stop being an operator in certain
contexts does much more harm than good. (Specifically, in hindsight it's
really terrible that puppet ever allowed dashes in class names.)

Sincerely,
Felix