On Friday, June 29, 2012 1:29:57 PM UTC-5, Mike Reed wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to use puppet to install an Nvidia driver on a local workstation.
>  I've written the following manifest for this puprpose:

[...]

It appears to me that the above error is occurring because the
> nvidia_driver class is running on each subsequent run and since the driver
> is already installed, I'm getting an exit status of 1 instead of 0, which
> to my knowledge would be expected.

*Every* assigned class "runs" every Puppet run.  That's Puppet's nature.
Running does not necessarily imply making any changes (which for Exec's
means running the specified command), but all resources assigned to the
node will at least check whether they are already in the correct state.
For Execs, that nature of those checks is governed by the 'unless',
'onlyif'', and 'creates' parameters.

I suggest you look for a pre-built driver package (RPM, DEB, etc.) for your
systems.  For the RHEL family of Linuxes, for instance, you can find such
packages in the elrepo and atrpms repositories.  Add the appropriate
repository to your system (perhaps via a Yumrepo resource), and manage the
driver via a Package resource.

If there is no pre-built package for your particular systems then consider
creating one and putting it in your own local repository.  Managing
packages is better in every way than managing installers.

John