On 12/07/12 10:29, Bernd Adamowicz wrote:
> I started doing some experiments with the configuration option
> 'thin_storeconfigs=true' by adding this option to one of my Puppet
> masters. However, I could not determine any change in behavior.

As others already have explained, with thin_storeconfigs, only exported
resources, facts and nodes are persisted to the DB. With regular (thick)
storeconfigs every resources are persisted to the database.

> I expected to have the resources collected faster, but Puppet still
> takes some 15min to do the job.

The thing is that if you had run with regular storeconfigs before
activating the thin_storeconfigs option, then your database is already
populated with all the resources definitions and parameters. So the
first time you run with thin_storeconfigs you end up collecting as if
thick was activated, then after the first catalog run (for a given
node), puppet should remove all the un-needed resources (ie the non
exported ones) from the database.
If that doesn't happen, I would suggest you to cleanup the database for
your nodes so that only exported resources are persisted and collected.

> So maybe I misunderstood something.
> Should this option instead be placed in the client's configuration to
> make them export only the @@-resources?

No, it's a master option.
--
Brice Figureau