On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 4:20 PM, Jake - USPS <jacob.m.mcc...@usps.gov>wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out if there is a common/working setup that people
> are using to host puppet in remote sites.
>
> At first our setup was that we have several puppetmasters (PM) in site A
> and a couple in our smaller site B.  In site A we are also hosting Foreman
> and our mysql DB for storeconfigs.  site A and B are connected via a WAN
> that is fairly slow.
>
> With this setup the issue I ran into was a lot of puppet agent runs in
> site B would timeout.  They connect to their PM in site B just fine, but
> then the site B PM needs to connect to the storeconfigs DB in site A.  This
> connection usually takes too long.  So we end up with about 50% error rate
> in site B while having a 0% error rate in site A.
>
> I've tried to address this by using async_storeconfigs which seemed to
> help a lot but ran into https://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/12140 which
> was a dealbreaker.
>
> Something else I've tried is just having agents in site B use the PMs in
> site A (so no more PM in site B).  This helps a lot, but we still get
> errors.  The 50% error rate drops down to about 1% error rate.  It seems
> the traffic from agent to PM is less then the traffic from PM to DB?  Not
> only did the error rate go down, but config retrievals sped up.
>
> One thing I'm wondering is if there is a way to setup a mysql storeconfigs
> DB in site B to reduce latency.  Either only nodes in site B will use
> storeconfigs in site B or maybe site A and B are 'clustered' somehow over
> WAN?  I'm not very strong with mysql skills though so I'm not sure what all
> can be done with it to address the issues I'm facing ...
>
> So I was wondering does anyone else manage remote sites?  Is there a way
> to do it while still maintaining a central storeconfigs DB and
> 'dashboard/ENC' (don't want to have 'login here to view these nodes, login
> there to view these other nodes)?
>
> Thanks for all comments!

I think thats one of the known shortcoming of storeconfigs, and one of the
main reasons I've never used them personally in the past.
What is your usage case fore storeconfigs? I always found ways to avoid
using it (e.g. by storing the data i need somewhere else).

I had (job N-1) about 15 sites (each with PM's) working really nice, but
without storeconfigs..

Ohad