Hi,

On 07/19/2012 05:07 PM, Laurence Lenberg wrote:
> I'm looking for a solution which manages generation and installation of
> client certificates. This is required we have a lot of re-installations,
> so we want to reuse already in place certificates. For security it is
> sufficient that the host to be part of our-domain.com
>
> The solution that comes closest to this requirement is this
> http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpuppet-manifest-share.googlecode.com%2Ffiles%2Fpuppet_certificate.pdf&ei=th4IUK__FMTZtAaxqdSYAw&usg=AFQjCNFinQKIAjCpcpltaq1ST01rjYb3xA
> <http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFcQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fpuppet-manifest-share.googlecode.com%2Ffiles%2Fpuppet_certificate.pdf&ei=th4IUK__FMTZtAaxqdSYAw&usg=AFQjCNFinQKIAjCpcpltaq1ST01rjYb3xA>
> by http://code.google.com/u/huangmingyou/
> but I haven't heard of anyone using it. Has anyone tried this out yet or
> has a similar setup or solution? Are the scripts gen_cert_tgz.sh and
> gen_agent_cert.sh described in the document available for download
> somewhere else?

Does not compute. A quick glance at the linked document suggests it's a
description of the normal way puppet certificates are handled. Please
point out what you perceive as a possible solution to your problem.

Reusing certificates is no problem, provided you set up an
infrastrucutre that
- stores certificates
- includes those certificates to your machines during provisioning
I.e., during re-installation of the OS, the signed cert is transferred
to the machine somehow.

If you manage to do that in a secure manner, you should be all set.

HTH,
Felix