On Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:46:21 PM UTC-7, Jo wrote:

> Okay, I totally did see this in the release notes but I read it that you
> weren't allowing certificates with IP addresses in them, not that you
> wouldn't allow IP authentication in auth.conf at all.
>
> Jul 17 14:52:46 sj2-puppet puppet-master[13998]: Authentication based on
> IP address is deprecated; please use certname-based rules instead
>
> I don't feel that it is reasonable to expect that every puppet customer
> match up their naming scheme to their IP blocks, nor to want to list every
> possible naming scheme in their authorization list when an IP bitmask will
> do the job much more simply.
>
> I don't mind or care about IPs in certificates--I've never seen this, and
> don't expect to. But disallowing IP-based authentication is going to be
> very difficult at many sites, and possibly allow things which were never
> intended. Please reconsider this.

This is actually something of a misleading deprecation warning, I'm afraid.
The change we plan to make is to distinguish "allow" and "allow_ip", to
avoid confusing IPs and certnames. So the change you will need to make is
to explicitly use "allow_ip" if you want to do IP-based authentication.
However, adding that feature to 2.7.x, though backward compatible, turns
out to require a fairly significant rework of some of the auth code, which
is a risk we don't feel is appropriate. So the feature won't be in until 3,
at which point it will be required.

That means we're in the awkward position of issuing a warning you can't
actually fix yet, which is *really* not something we like to do. But it
seems better to at least give some alert that you'll need to make a change
in the future than to have it suddenly occur without forewarning. So yes,
there's definitely a bit of an issue here, but I assure you we don't intend
to remove IP-based authentication entirely.

Nick Lewis