On 24 July 2012 00:43, Ryan Bowlby <rbowlb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Can anyone comment on their experiences with librarian-puppet or using git
> superproject with per puppet module repositories? We are in the midst of
> determining which route is optimal for our environment. It seems like using
> git superprojects would mean one less new tool for everyone to learn. What
> then would be the advantages of librarian-puppet?

I've been using git subtree merge for this. I think it is better than
git submodules as it limits the complexity to only the people merging
and updating external modules (and it's really not that complex). But
people can continue to commit fixes without much hassle or updating
multiple repositories.

Some wrapper scripts against git subtree are here:
https://github.com/apenwarr/git-subtree/
Or in contrib in git 1.7.11+

One advantage of librarian-puppet though is that you can effectively
create topic branches where only one module is denomalized but the
rest are following the latest version you have. That sort of workflow
is clunky at best with submodules/subtrees.

--
Erik Dalén