We just saw an interesting scenario:
Puppet 2.7.18 updated packages on a RHEL 6.2 box to a newer version without
logging that fact.

We've already fixed our code so it doesn't happen again, but I'm wondering if
this is expected behavior or a bug.

* I presume the default  "ensure" behavior on package is "latest"?    The type
reference doesn't say that…

* For now, we've switched to using ensure => present… but I'd have liked the
logs to reflect that update.

Details, if necessary:

Now, we had the code as such:

package {
 php:;
 php-common:;
 php-xml:;
 php-domxml;:
}
and there was a single not present package to install  (php-domxml).

Interestingly, the package was actually an older package name that's now
handled by a new package (php-xml), which meant that the actual message logged
was a failure.

Jul 25 14:09:43 web01 puppet-agent[1021]:
(/Stage[main]/Php/Package[php-domxml]/ensure) change from absent to present
failed: Could not find package php-domxml

This was the only package message logged, and yet we ended up with newer
versions.

Matthew Barr
Technical Architect
E: mb...@snap-interactive.com