So it looks (without an in depth comparison) to be this bug in the bug
tracking tool.
http://projects.puppetlabs.com/issues/13038
So maybe this is already solved. Just need to wait* for the 2.7.12 or later
version of pupet to make it to the debian packages for Ubuntu then I should
be able to test.

*yes, I'm being lazy.

Though it looks like it's quite a few versions behind, with current latest
being 2.7.18, so maybe I'll have to install it the hard way, or work out
how to install the previous package, or keep on with "kill -9" for now...
sigh.