The agent enable/disable is documented in the output of 'puppet help agent' as
well as here:

http://docs.puppetlabs.com/man/agent.html

Your output of 'puppet agent --server=puppet --test --noop' shows that you have
a 'puppetdlock' file (in /var/lib/puppet/state by default), but that puppet is
interpreting the lock file's presence as a run in progress. If there is no run
in progress when you disable the agent, then you should be seeing this output
when you try to run puppet (with version 2.6+) :

notice: Skipping run of Puppet configuration client; administratively disabled;
use 'puppet agent --enable' to re-enable.

If you try 'puppet agent --enable' does the puppetdlock file disappear from
this location? It should.

--
Peter

On Jul 30, 2012, at 12:23 PM, Hai Tao wrote:

> This makes sense and is interesting. I was suspecting disable means
> turning off in chkconfig, but it is not as I checked.
>
> # puppet agent --server=puppet --test --noop
> notice: Run of Puppet configuration client already in progress; skipping
>
> so can you explain what "administratively disables" mean, and where I
> can find doc for this?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Hai T.
>

> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:27 AM, pmbuko <pmb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Monday, July 30, 2012 12:17:33 AM UTC-4, Hai wrote:
>>>
>>> I used the puppetd plugin to disable the puppet service on a node,
>>> however the puppet is still running on the node. Can someone explain
>>> why?
>>>
>>> # mco puppetd -I test-01 disable
>>>
>>> * [ ============================================================> ] 1 / 1
>>>

>>> test-01                              Request Aborted
>>>   Already disabled
>>>
>>> Finished processing 1 / 1 hosts in 64.07 ms
>>> # mco puppetd -I test-01 status
>>>
>>> * [ ============================================================> ] 1 / 1
>>>
>>> test-01                              Currently disabled; last
>>> completed run 1550 seconds ago
>>>
>>> Finished processing 1 / 1 hosts in 60.37 ms
>>

>> Hai,
>>
>> When you tell mcollective to disable puppet on a node, it *administratively
>> disables* the agent but it does not stop the puppetd process. If you try
>> 'puppet agent -t' on an node that has been administratively disabled you
>> will see that puppet won't actually run.
>>
>> --
>> Peter
>>

>> --
>> http://groups.google.com/group/puppet-users?hl=en.