There's been at least one other report of something like this, but that was
a little while ago and changes to the module have been made recently.

Basically I can create a database, set the root password, but not do
anything else:

node 'puppetclient.tomtest.com' {
    class { 'mysql::server':
        service_name => 'mysql',
        config_hash => { 'root_password' => 'mymysqlrootpass', },
        package_name => 'MySQL-server',
    }
    mysql::db { 'testdb':
        user        => 'testdb',
        password    => 'testdb',
        host        => 'localhost',
        grant       => ['ALL'],

Installs mysql, correctly sets the root password then stops.  The DB is
never created and no errors are issued.

Can anyone help me debug this issue?, I've not gone down the custom
resources route myself yet, so I'm not sure how I go about working out
where the problem is.

Cheers,

Tom.