I'm running into an issue using a custom package provider for PEAR.
Currently I've been using the provider found
here<https://raw.github.com/gist/305778/13f46dea6eba07e38778d7159644b4210ebe7bbe/pear.rb>,

which seems to work fine when I manually copy it to a client running the
puppet agent.

The problem I'm having occurs when I rely on Puppet's pluginsync feature to
copy the config out. I've got the custom provider stored on the puppet
master in /etc/puppet/modules/common/lib/provider/package/pear.rb, and the
puppet.conf for the client contains pluginsync=true The custom provider is
being synchronized out to the client fine; that's not the issue. The
problem shows up when I try to use a class requiring the custom provider on
the client PC: despite the presence of the pear.rb file in
/var/lib/puppet/lib/provider/package/ after puppet initially synchronizes
it, Puppet continues to throw an error that it cannot find the package
provider, even after restarting Puppet.

> puppet-agent[13581]: Failed to apply catalog: Parameter provider failed:
> Invalid package provider 'pear' at
> /etc/puppet/manifests/classes/rhel-web.pp:50

Now the weird thing that happens, is that if I modify the pear.rb provider
file on the client running the Puppet agent, then restart Puppet, it
notices the file has been modified, re-synchronizes it from the Puppet
master, and then the class using the custom provider works and install the
packages using the custom provider.

I've verified that the file being transmitted initially is indeed identical
to the file that is re-sent after being modified.

This issue has been reproducible each time I've tried it. Currently the
setup I'm using to test this uses Puppet 2.7.18 with 64-bit RHEL6 on the
Puppet master and 32-bit RHEL6 on the client running the Puppet agent.