In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] Re: A few questions about setting up...:

I want to use puppetlabs-stdlib and /etc/facter/facts.d to create a set
of local facts.  Some of these facts come in variable quantities.  I
would like to stack these up into a delimited string.  I can deal with
that.

On thing about your responses that puzzles me is the repeated mention of
facts going from the agent to the master.  What is that about, please ?
I am looking at facts local to the agent.  My understanding is that all
the "Magic Behind the Curtains" about puppet happens on the agent.

That part is at least partially incorrect.

Catalog compilation happens on the master.  This means that the master
has to know all the facts for each client, so that it can correctly build
the catalog.  The client gathers the facts and ships them to the master,
so the master can build a catalog and ship the final result back to the
client for application.

Note also that this means that all functions run on the master too.

See:

        http://docs.puppetlabs.com/learning/agent_master_basic.html

though I've actually seen better diagrams of the communication, that's
the one I'm finding right now.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu