In regard to: Re: [Puppet Users] how to resolve hostnames to IP addresses...:

Did you choose foo_data_webfarm_http_servers as the "top level" hiera
name for any particular reason, such as how hiera is going to work in
puppet 3 with parameterized classes?

I have no real knowledge of how that's going to work; I have been
namespacing things based on what I felt made things very clear for
people looking at the hiera values, and the templates.

afaik there's no significant penalty for longish names, but it makes it
a bit easier for me to ingest when looking through a gaggle of hiera
parameters.

Understood about the longish names and honestly that's what we're mostly
doing with our hiera usage so far, but every time I look at my site's
hiera setup, it strikes me as wrong, or at least not the best way.

I've posted about this before, but when we converted from extlookup() to
hiera(), we didn't really do any kind of data reorganization.  As an
example, we have things like

nameserver_type: client
primary_nameserver: 1.2.3.4
secondary_nameserver: 2.3.4.5
tertiary_nameserver: 3.4.5.6

All of that's fine, but since hiera supports structure, it strikes me as
more elegant to do something like:

nameserver:
  type: client
  addresses:
  - 1.2.3.4
  - 2.3.4.5
  - 3.4.5.6

etc.

However, there are precious few examples of how to actually look up and
reference nested data in hiera and the ones that do exist make it appear
that it's much more complicated than just using the "namespace via _"
method that we're currently using.

My hope is that some best practices and more examples with be part of some
forthcoming documentation.

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                             tim.moo...@ndsu.edu