----- Original Message -----

It depends on what backends you use, the CLI cannot get access to the
data inside the puppet backend for example but for JSON/YAML it shouldd
work

My install lags a bit in versions and I do not have the inventory
service so its hard to say whats up with that, but given a /etc/hiera.yaml
that points to the right hiera db dir for json files I can do:

$ hiera key fact=val fact=val fact=val

the key being what you want and the kv pairs being the scope it will
pass through the hierarchy

you can also set your master to debug logging and you'll see it log every
lookup and what its trying