On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 1:12:12 PM UTC-5, Zachary Alex Stern wrote:

> That's a fair point, but not applicable to my use-case (multiple puppet
> servers).
>
> However, at some point in the near future, I'll be using hiera, and that
> will be moot.

To use multiple Puppet masters for the same site and retain your sanity, it
is essential that all site-wide classes and data be automatically
synchronized across the masters.  If the multiple servers are simply for
scaling / load balancing, then obviously the entire Puppet config must be
synchronized.  With these considerations in mind, I think the objection
about modifying manifests is a red herring: if there is a synchronization
issue there then it is an instance of a type of problem that should already
have been solved.

John