Ive struggled with the same problem of distributing variables and other
generated data amongst hosts.

For external resources Ive found a great use in configuring a BackupPC server.
Each node builds their backup configuration file with tag
'backuppc_server_conf' and the server retrieves all the generated files with
that tag.

What I havent been unable to solve, is making each nodes hiera values
accessable to each other.  My hierarchy is $fqdn->common.  The very crude
workaround Ive used is in a module, query foreman for all fqdn's.  Then pass
that to a define that 'redefines' fqdn variable before calling hiera.

Is there alternatively a way to query resources like all mysql::db types?  I
would like to just get all the mysql::db instances on a given node so other
nodes could use that data.  This could be another way to configure backuppc or
generate monitoring checks.

- Trey